Tuesday, 2 February 2016

One month in!

So it's been a whole month since I started #TheYearOfTheDress challenge! I think it's safe to say I am getting into the swing of it! For example, I now know the best denier tights to wear for certain dresses in my wardrobe! You see,when I started this frock lovin, I never knew such mind boggling problems would arise! 

To be honest I've learnt so much about tights!! Not only is there a denier choice but a fabric, colour, pattern, lining (fleece, thermal) and size! All of which needs to be considered in conjunction with the dress being worn! My current tight faves are full figure tights! So soft, breathable and sizing is generous! I like these- http://m.primark.com/en/product/black-fuller-figure-tights-60-denier,r35397112017220

I've also discovered a new found love for seamed tights- perfect for those 40's style dresses as well as the 'pin up' look wiggle dress, more about those in a min! 
I discovered a brand of seamed tights (I don't do stockings! Just too fiddly and stressful!) called Dancing Girl. They do the most amazing tights with various coloured seams! Brilliant! The stretch in the weave of nylon is good too as I managed 4 wear (and washes) before I laddered them! They have a Cuban  style heel so the foot is reinforced stopping that annoyance- toes poking out the end! 
Find them here- 
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dancing-Girl-Contrast-Back-Seam-Seamed-Tights-Retro-Burlesque-Nude-Black-/171550411557

Over this last month I have also discovered how much I love wearing a 'wiggle dress'. 

Wiggle dresses (sometimes called a pencil dress) were huge in the 1950/60's. Seen Mad Men tv show? Think Joan! See below! Women wanted to create or show off their hourglass figure. It was thought off as 'sexy' and feminine. Society today seems to have lost this love of women's curves! 
The wiggle exploded to 'height of fashion' in the 1960's but was around long before then known as a 'sheath' dress. I can see why that name never really caught on! 
A sheath dress- named so due to the fact it was constructed from what looks like a tube of fabric, flattered most figures as it clung to curves giving women that saught after hourglass figure. Over the years, as fabrics have developed, the ability of the fabric to cling and hug curves has gotten greater! Think of today's 'body con' or illusion dress! Lycra! 
My figure is quite classically hourglass! Meaning that the wiggle dress suits me to a 'T'! I love the way is accentuates my curves, it gives me confidence. I realise, for some, that the fact wiggles are so clingy is the absolute reason NOT to wear them. The amount of times I hear customers say "oh no I don't do wiggle/pencil dresses coz they show off all my lumps and bumps". But take a look at the pictures below. I think the tighter, 'clingy to my curves' dresses make me look
slimmer?!! Or am I just kidding myself?A&B v's C&D? 

3 comments:

  1. You look great in all the pictures, however in A & B you look incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in A, B and D. I'm not so sure about the Chevron pattern on C. Keep up the good work. X

    ReplyDelete